Saturday, July 18, 2015

Chapter Three: Facing Boss

Getting out of bed this morning was not something I was entirely excited about. I had to face Boss today and tell him what had happened last night. I knew that he would be glad I wasn't dead, but he would no doubt have some sort of obnoxious discipline awaiting me. I kept myself in tip-top physical shape for my job, and I turned on my television to put in a workout DVD. I usually worked out four times a week, splitting my workouts between both cardio and strength training. I needed to be able to run far and hard as well as take people out when the job called for it. My apartment wasn't very big in terms of ample workout space, so I often just did the stretching part of my routine at home and hit the gym for the other part.


There are some days when I wonder what my life would have been like if I hadn't started down this life of crime, and if I had been the typical girl who wanted to be popular, who cared about her grades and looking good in the eyes of society. My conclusion was always the same, which was that my life would have been boring as fuck. I had always enjoyed thrills of any kind, and it just so happened that nothing beat the thrill that came with illegal activity. Before I met Rafael, I was always a daredevil, so it's not like he changed me in that sense, but he definitely amplified my tendencies. The first time we went into a gas station and shoplifted food, I got so excited when we successfully walked out the door with two bags of chips and two sodas. We had walked back to his house that day, munching on our stolen goodies. His dad was at work, as usual, and his mom had barely even noticed we were gone. To be honest, I think she'd killed most of her brain cells from the meth she kept taking, since she barely talked and her eyes always looked empty. There was nobody home in her head, and it left Rafael and I time to get away with anything and everything.


When I finished stretching and doing a bunch of things that got my heart rate and energy level up enough to start my day, I shut off the television and got ready. I was a bit nervous to go to work today because of what happened last night. I had no doubts that the client probably called to complain to Boss about me. I wasn't perfect of course, no one was, but I had never screwed up this badly before, so I didn't know what Boss was going to do. I hoped it wasn't anything too terrible. I looked at the time, realizing I was going to be cutting it close to catching the bus I needed, so I headed downstairs and raced to the bus stop that was across the street from my building. Luckily, just as I got there, I saw the headlights of the bus approaching. The last thing I needed was to be late in addition to me fucking up last night. Granted, Boss might have thought I got killed last night, but I somehow figured he had more faith in me than that.


The place we met at was a large concrete building. I think it had once been a factory of some kind, and in stereotypical criminal fashion, when it became abandoned, Boss had it remodeled to suit our needs. He placed the entrance of the building in between the walls of the garage and the side of the building so it wouldn't be easy to find. In fact, even though it faced the street, it didn't look much like the front entrance of anything. This street faced away from the brunt of the city, anyway, so it was very inconspicuous. I pondered whether I should tell Boss about Rafael, knowing full well that Boss hated secrets, but not sure about how much he would care that Rafael was alive. On the one hand, I was sure Boss would like having his two best workers together again, but on the other, he and I had gotten used to me being either with another person on our team, or me being out on my own.


I unlocked the door using the copy of the special keycard Boss gave to all of us, then locked the door behind me. Our headquarters wasn't fancy by any means, but it suited our needs. When you walked in the front door, there was a table for us to discuss plans and heists, and a garage that held the truck we used when we were casing a joint.


Turning right from the front door, there were two more rooms, the first being a small interrogation room with lots of torture tools, and the second being Boss' office. I gulped hard as I made my way towards it, passing the three cells we had in our headquarters. Usually they were for people we captured from rival groups, but occasionally, if one of us pissed Boss off enough, he'd throw us in there for a few hours to give us something to think about. I approached the door... and knocked.

"Ye-aah!?"


Walking into Boss' office timidly, I positioned myself in front of his desk, nervously holding my fingers against my palms and placing one of my feet on top of the other one. I was even more uncomfortable because Boss didn't have any other chairs in his office besides the one he was sitting in, and boy was it effective in causing one to feel like they were going to throw up.

"Well, well. Elysium. You're not dead. What do you have to say for yourself?"


Boss was young, well built, and kind of smoldering, but holy fuck, was he intimidating when he needed to be. I found myself unable to talk as his green eyes stared me down, burning a hole into my core, feeling like he was going to light me on fire if I blinked wrong.

"I- fu- I'm- sor- ugh, I know I fucked up. I'm sorry."

"This is why you work for me. I tell you terms that you should stick to when you go for the drop. You're not supposed to just go off and say shit you think might be better because then they fucking chase you down the streets of Bridgeport at 2 fucking am. Naive, Elysium. I thought you were ready for this level of deal, but it doesn't look like you are."

Dammit. I had a feeling he was going to say I wasn't ready. Ugh, but I was. I had wanted so much to be one of the people on the team who made deals for Boss. They got paid more, and this was the first one I had screwed up, but it had only been the second job of this kind I had gone on.


"Please Boss, I can do this, just give me another chance. I did the first one flawlessly!"

"No can do, sweet-cheeks. You can't fuck up your second job and expect me to let you continue. You need to learn more. However, you managed to run away from those thugs, you didn't get arrested, and nothing got traced back to me, so all in all, I'm not that mad at you. You may think you're the shit, but you're still a noob, Elysium. I like you, so I'm still going to let you go out on today's job, but you're being demoted to Decoy."

"Ugh, no, not Decoy! I hate Decoy... it's so boring."

"Tough luck, babe. You're lucky I ain't throwing your ass in the cells for the rest of your shift. I can do that instead if you don't shut your trap and accept my generosity. I know you like the thrill, and that's what makes you such a valuable asset to me, but you got to continue to prove yourself."


As much as I disliked being Decoy, which was basically the person who caused a distraction while the others did more important things, I nodded my head, knowing Boss was actually being generous. He could throw me in the cells all day, and that would be even more boring. If I was able to go out, which he was letting me, then at least I would be contributing to the mission. After I accepted, Boss told me to go change into my outfit, and meet the rest of the team at the briefing table. I wondered who he wanted me to be today. We always wore different clothes on a job than the ones we wore to work because it was harder to track us if we switched outfits constantly.


I went upstairs to the locker where the outfits were kept, and found ones labelled Elysium, which was my last name. It was a pair of blue jeans, a woman's football jersey, and a pair of blue jogging shoes. I quickly put them on, then got a short briefing from the team. My part was, as I figured, super easy. I was supposed to pretend I was a new student who was lost on the university campus, and bump into our mark, who was a balding, middle aged, heavyweight man that usually wore a really ugly plaid shirt and was one of the last people in the world to still carry a briefcase. Since I was only Decoy, I didn't get any more information than that, which was all I needed to know, according to Boss.


I sighed as I walked into the garage to get in the truck with the rest of the team, trying to suck up my bittersweet feelings. I needed to just be okay with it. Boss was right, getting to go out was better than the alternative. With how hard I worked, I knew I would get promoted in a matter of no time. As I climbed into the truck, I realized that I had forgotten to tell Boss about Rafael. Oh well, waiting another day couldn't hurt, right?


Author's Note: Natalia never actually got demoted in game. In the first two chapters, I hadn't yet had her join the Criminal Career because I had just placed her in town and she was "arriving home." Her progress now is Level 1 Decoy.

17 comments:

  1. Yeah, Natalia got lucky that Boss likes her as much as he does. LOL, yeah demotion is much better than death. XD Hmm... she might regret it... haha, or maybe she's got a plan up her sleeve for that. I'm still trying to figure out in my head how Boss would react to that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm with Jazen--that went about as well as it could have gone. Hell, to be honest, even though a demotion is humiliating, when you consider the alternatives a little embarrassment is far more more preferable. Plus, that's actually a good way to explain the fact that she's a "decoy" in game and all ;) I mean, not that you even have to match up with what the game says, but it's always fun when you can!

    As for Rafael, I'm actually just wondering what his plan is now that he's back in town in the first place. I mean yes, he wanted to see Natalia, but what else? Does he plan to go to Boss himself and let him know that he's alive, or would that be too dangerous? But then, if he doesn't plan to go to Boss...what IS he planning? I highly doubt his plan is to settle down and pick up a job at the local grocer, after all :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-huh, she didn't get caught, so he was happy. All Boss cares about is "can I still do my illegal activities without being caught? Yes? Ok, we're good." Plus, if he killed her, it'd just be one more mess for him to clean up and then he'd have lost a team member, and so then it'd be harder to go out on jobs. Just not in his best interest LOL. Haha, yeah, demotions are always preferable to death. XD True, haha, not that I had to, but it was fun to throw game details in. I don't do it a whole lot, so in this story, I'm going to try to, when I can, meaning only when it's realistic. XD

      Well, Rafael was considered dead, and it's not like his parents ever reported him missing, so in reality, no one misses him, or is even looking for him. He's basically sailing under the radar now, and since he doesn't have a record either, he could just continue on invisible as he is. I'm still trying to figure out how Boss would react if Rafael went to him. I guess I haven't established enough in my head of how Boss and Rafael's relationship was, except for he liked it when Natalia and Rafael could get away with shit more than the other team members because they're better at their jobs. However, it's not like he liked Rafael like a son or anything like that, so his reaction might not even be that emotional. Rafael's number one, yeah, like you said, was to see Natalia cause he did have real feelings for her and he missed her. Plus him being back in town, he wanted a friend, and Natalia was the best choice. IDK, the fact that everyone thinks he's dead could be the perfect way for him to start over, no? He could get a job at the local grocer and just live out the rest of his days as a normal civilian. LOL. A lot of possibilities, and I'm still trying to figure out which one would be the best for the story. XD

      Delete
  3. Considering the only way out of the mob is a body bag, I say Natalia was lucky just to be demoted. The boss did notice many things about her that he considered to be an asset, which saved her asset. :) I do wonder how the boss will take the news that Rafael is alive and that she didn't tell him. Gotta be loyal to the boss if you know what is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Natalia did get lucky, LOL, that what she could offer Boss was something that he would rather have than not. Haha, yeah her assets, very good way to put it. I'm still trying to figure out how Boss would react, I feel like Boss looked at Rafael as an asset too, but he might still be mad that he wasn't told sooner. Yes, loyalty is important to Boss, and that's why he doesn't like secrets very much. :)

      Delete
  4. Hmm, well, I hope she hasn't messed up again by not mentioning Rafael. Her boss seems relatively lenient with her, and it's made me wonder if he'll be the daddy of gen2. He may value her as an asset now but things can change quickly if she keeps messing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. She was forgiven for this first fuck up anyway, cause in the big picture, no harm came to Boss and their organization, which is ultimately what he cares about. He does see Natalia as an asset more than a liability, LOL. :D We'll see who's the daddy, I haven't decided that part yet. XD Very true, things in this industry change very quickly, Natalia should be careful and like Boss said, she is naive, so she's got a lot to learn, which she will do, by learning from her mistakes. :D

      Delete
  5. Well, at least she didn't get fired or worse and that she didn't mess up the job any more than she already did. She's lucky the boss was so generous because he doesn't seem to be one to normal be so lenient. And hey, this just gives her the opportunity to learn more and really deserve to take one more responsibility later down the road. But now I'm curious as to what this new job is and the man she's supposed to distract. :)

    I really like the criminal career track and the evil trait. I had an evil sim once who was emperor of evil. haha I liked when he glowed red. It was funny. And he wasn't even that evil, so yeah...But anyway, I'm excited to see where you take this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she got lucky because she has proven herself so far to Boss, and he knows she's more of an asset than a liability. Haha, fired might have meant dead in this line of work. XD She didn't mess up in any way that made Boss have to quit or disrupt his criminal activity, so he wasn't that mad at her. If she had given stuff away or gotten the cops on his ass, he would have offed her pretty quick. LOL. He sees her potential so he is letting her continue. Oh, haha, I didn't go into details of the job because Natalia's part was quite boring, she literally just has to bump into the professor and then apologize long enough to him so that he doesn't pay attention to his briefcase while another team member rifles through it and takes some files from it. o.O

      LOL, I do too, the criminal career and the evil trait are really fun. I had simself be the emperor of evil one time and I loved when Sims with the good trait would run away from her or faint as she glowed red at the art gallery. LOLL. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, her boss looks sooo criminal, sooo cheap lol.
    I agree fully with jazen, things could have got much worse. At least she got another chance, and maybe she really needs it.
    I really love to play the criminal career and I find it not very difficult either. Just the last step sometimes gets screwed up when the sim gets caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad he looks criminal, I was hoping with the way I made him dress and the hair cut I gave him that's what he would look like. LOL, his huge necklace kind of makes him look cheap, doesn't it? XD I thought it would be fitting because he thinks he is so cool. LOL.
      Yeah, definitely, things could have been really bad, like he could have made her his slave or something. O_O But he likes her enough to know she's more of an asset to him. He took her onto his team when she was sixteen, and she's about twenty now, so she's still young, and he can teach her lots of things. She needs to make mistakes to learn how to be better, and Boss knows that, even though he's a criminal, he still wants the best team.
      Yeah, the criminal career is pretty easy to play in the game, I like the sounds that come from the building if you are there when the Sim is at work. LOL. It's quite fun to come up with "jobs" for the criminals to do in the story, haha. Yeah, getting caught always slows things down, but it's okay because they get there eventually. XD

      Delete
  7. God . . . her boss is so hot xD His hair though . . . it's so nice.
    (Also, I though that her boss was going to be like this plump, bald dude . . . totally inaccurate though x.x)

    Lol, well it's good that her boss isn't giving her too big of a punishment, somehow I feel like it's not going to be a good idea to not tell him about Rafael sooner . . .

    Now you're making me want to write this kind of story . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee I like to make hot guy Sims, and I rarely make plump, bald guys because I don't like looking at guys like that. LOL. I know I'm shallow, and I'm fine with that. I actually really like that hair style, LOL, at least for a Sim. I thought it would give him a tough guy look too.

      Boss likes Natalia, and knows she can still do plenty for their organization, so he didn't want to get rid of her. Haha, yeah, we'll see if she gets in trouble because she didn't tell him about Rafael, or if he even cares about Rafael anymore. The criminal career doesn't really hold long attachments, people come and go, and when they're of no use anymore, then they just get forgotten.

      What kind of story? A going solo? Or a criminal one? LOL.

      Delete
    2. Lol, I still need to read the rules and stuff for a going solo, so maybe a criminal one xD

      Delete
    3. Heeehee, the going solo is simple, you start with a sim, who can only have one child. Each generation has one kid only and the heir has to fulfill one lifetime wish and one career before moving on to the next generation.
      Criminal is just kind of whatever you feel like, LOL. Anyway, I decided to start my going solo with the criminal because that's my favorite career in the game, and I also watch a lot of cop shows so I have a lot of ideas when it comes to that kind of story line.

      Delete
  8. I was totally expecting her bos to be the typical overweight bald guy in a suite! Hahaha!
    She got lucky with just the demotion. I wonder what will happen to her about Raphael. I can see that going down in a dozen different ways.
    Hopefully she won't be stuck as a decoy for long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles* Well I guess it was the mark who is the actual typical overweight bald guy LOL!
      She did get lucky, she could have gotten really bad punishment, but she still got to complete a mission! Hehe yeah... Rafael, the mystery man, haha.
      I think she'll work her way up pretty fast, she's good at what she does. :)

      Delete